The best hike from Grindelwald First is the hike to Bachalpsee which encompasses all that’s most beautiful about Switzerland - stunning snow-capped mountains, lush green meadows & valleys, crystal clear lakes, and wildflowers, all to the soundtrack of ringing...
Switzerland is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. It’s incredible how such a small country is blessed with natural beauty in spades. Credit to the Swiss for making their country so friendly for tourists – from ridiculously friendly people to amazingly well-organized tourist destinations. In Switzerland, you not only marvel at the stunning natural beauty but also at the famed Swiss efficiency.
I’m sure you can tell that I’m obsessed with Switzerland! I’ve been living here for a very short time but already I’m blown away by how beautiful everything is.
Here’s a quick reckoner about Switzerland:
- Location: Western Europe. Switzerland is a landlocked country bordered by France on the West, Germany on the North, Austria & Liechtenstein on the East and Italy on the South
- Languages: German (a dialect called Swiss German is in practice in Switzerland), French, Italian, Romansh
- Currency: CHF (Swiss Franc), although Euro is widely accepted
- Visa: Schengen
- Public transportation: Excellent public transportation comprising trains, trams, buses, cable cars. As a tourist, you can easily employ public transportation instead of renting a car
- Driving side: Right
- Electrical plug category: Power plugs and sockets are of type J. The standard voltage is 230 V and the standard frequency is 50 Hz
- Major cities: Zurich, Bern (capital city), Geneva, Basel
- Famous food: Cheese – who hasn’t heard of Fondue?!, Cheeses such as Gruyère or Emmental are produced in the valleys of Gruyères and Emmental
- Famous souvenirs: Swiss knife, Swiss watches, Swiss chocolates, Cowbells
- Useful phrases to know:
- Hello – Grüezi
- Thank you – Merci!, Danke! Dankeschön!
- Yes – Ja
- No – Nein
- Please – Bitte
- Do you speak English – Sprechen Sie Englisch?
Here are some travel guides to get you started on planning your Swiss vacation!