Oeschinensee (or as it is known by the misnomer Oeschinensee Lake - 'see' in German means lake!) is a bright blue Swiss mountain lake in the Bernese Oberland region. It’s the perfect spot for a day trip from Zurich, Lucerne or Interlaken. Whether you are looking to...
Switzerland is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. It’s incredible how such a small country is blessed with natural beauty in spades. Credit to the Swiss for making their country so friendly for tourists – from ridiculously friendly people to amazingly well-organized tourist destinations. In Switzerland, you not only marvel at the stunning natural beauty but also at the famed Swiss efficiency.
I’m sure you can tell that I’m obsessed with Switzerland! I’ve been living here for a very short time but already I’m blown away by how beautiful everything is.
Here’s a quick reckoner about Switzerland:
- Location: Western Europe. Switzerland is a landlocked country bordered by France on the West, Germany on the North, Austria & Liechtenstein on the East and Italy on the South
- Languages: German (a dialect called Swiss German is in practice in Switzerland), French, Italian, Romansh
- Currency: CHF (Swiss Franc), although Euro is widely accepted
- Visa: Schengen
- Public transportation: Excellent public transportation comprising trains, trams, buses, cable cars. As a tourist, you can easily employ public transportation instead of renting a car
- Driving side: Right
- Electrical plug category: Power plugs and sockets are of type J. The standard voltage is 230 V and the standard frequency is 50 Hz
- Major cities: Zurich, Bern (capital city), Geneva, Basel
- Famous food: Cheese – who hasn’t heard of Fondue?!, Cheeses such as Gruyère or Emmental are produced in the valleys of Gruyères and Emmental
- Famous souvenirs: Swiss knife, Swiss watches, Swiss chocolates, Cowbells
- Useful phrases to know:
- Hello – Grüezi
- Thank you – Merci!, Danke! Dankeschön!
- Yes – Ja
- No – Nein
- Please – Bitte
- Do you speak English – Sprechen Sie Englisch?
Here are some travel guides to get you started on planning your Swiss vacation!
Mt. Rigi is our go-to day trip for family and friends visiting us. It offers an all-encompassing experience of all that’s wonderful about Switzerland. A trip to Mount Rigi from Lucerne includes a cruise on the delightful Lake Lucerne, a ride on a steep funicular,...
The prettiest lakes in Switzerland Switzerland is home to dazzling natural beauty - from incredible mountains to spectacular lakes. It is difficult to pick the prettiest lakes but here’s my attempt. All of these lakes are breathtaking and as an added bonus, a lot of...
This easy trail covering the 2 beautiful lakes of Caumasee and Crestasee, and the incredible Rhine Gorge (also known as the Swiss Grand Canyon) is the perfect way to whet your appetite for more hikes in Switzerland. I came across these places when I was looking for...
Guide to visiting Lake Bannalp The mountain reservoir of Bannalpsee is one of the best quick trips to be done from Engelberg, Lucerne or Zurich. Bannalpsee is a hidden gem - when we went in July, it was nearly deserted and we had the whole place all to ourselves....
The best hike from Grindelwald First is the hike to Bachalpsee which encompasses all that’s most beautiful about Switzerland - stunning snow capped mountains, lush green meadows & valleys, crystal clear lakes, and wild flowers, all to the soundtrack of ringing cow...