Whitewashed buildings set against the stunning blue sea, the incredibly beautiful caldera, thousands of years old and superbly fascinating history, and fantastic Greek food - the volcanic island of Santorini is one of the best places to visit in Greece. As hyped as it...
Greece is a classic bucket list destination for most folks and for good reason! It offers very varied experiences – from the historical sights in Athens to the stunning landscapes in the Cyclades islands. It is a beautiful place to travel to, however one that requires a bit more planning than other destinations in Europe.
Here’s a quick reckoner about Greece:
- Location: Southern Europe.Greece shares borders with Turkey, Albania, North Macedonia and Bulgaria
- Languages: Greek
- Currency: Euro
- Visa: Schengen
- Public transportation: Most cities have great public transportation including Uber. Greek islands have good bus networks but renting a car might be a more convenient way to explore
- Driving side: Right
- Electrical plug category: Power plugs and sockets are of type C and F. The standard voltage is 230 V and the standard frequency is 50 Hz
- Major cities: Athens (capital city), Thessaloniki
- Famous food: Greek cuisine is well known for being hearty and healthy. Some of the things not to miss include Greek salad, Spanakopita, Moussaka, Souvlaki
- Famous souvenirs: Olive tree products – Olive oil, Olives, Olive wood items, Handmade ceramics
- Useful phrases to know:
- Hello – Geiá sou
- Thank you – Efcharistó
- Yes – Naí
- No – Ochi
- Please – Sas parakaloúme
- Do you speak English? – Milás angliká?
Here are some travel guides to get you started on planning your Greek vacation!
Things to do in Paros – The prettiest Greek island!
Dreaming of a vacation in Greece but dreading the crowds and the high prices? Paros is the answer to your dream Greek vacation! Paros offers the best of other more popular - read touristy - Cyclades islands without the panic-inducing crowds or the crazy exorbitant...
DON'T MISS MY MONTHLY TRAVEL CARDS
Sign up for travel stories, updates on exciting new destinations and tools to make your travel planning easier!
Thank you! Please check your email inbox. (If you can't find the email, please check your promotions folder)