Whitewashed buildings set against the stunning blue sea, the incredibly beautiful caldera, thousands of years old and superbly fascinating history, and fantastic Greek food - the volcanic island of Santorini is one of the best places to visit in Greece. As hyped as it...
Greece is a classic bucket list destination for most folks and for good reason! It offers very varied experiences – from the historical sights in Athens to the stunning landscapes in the Cyclades islands. It is a beautiful place to travel to, however one that requires a bit more planning than other destinations in Europe.
Here’s a quick reckoner about Greece:
- Location: Southern Europe.Greece shares borders with Turkey, Albania, North Macedonia and Bulgaria
- Languages: Greek
- Currency: Euro
- Visa: Schengen
- Public transportation: Most cities have great public transportation including Uber. Greek islands have good bus networks but renting a car might be a more convenient way to explore
- Driving side: Right
- Electrical plug category: Power plugs and sockets are of type C and F. The standard voltage is 230 V and the standard frequency is 50 Hz
- Major cities: Athens (capital city), Thessaloniki
- Famous food: Greek cuisine is well known for being hearty and healthy. Some of the things not to miss include Greek salad, Spanakopita, Moussaka, Souvlaki
- Famous souvenirs: Olive tree products – Olive oil, Olives, Olive wood items, Handmade ceramics
- Useful phrases to know:
- Hello – Geiá sou
- Thank you – Efcharistó
- Yes – Naí
- No – Ochi
- Please – Sas parakaloúme
- Do you speak English? – Milás angliká?
Here are some travel guides to get you started on planning your Greek vacation!
Dreaming of a vacation in Greece but dreading the crowds and the high prices? Paros is the answer to your dream Greek vacation! Paros offers the best of other more popular - read touristy - Cyclades islands without the panic-inducing crowds or the crazy exorbitant...